Support Information for Service Leavers and Veterans

As you are preparing to leave the Army to enter civilian life your focus may turn to issues such as finding a new job, looking for a home and locating schools for children.

The current process of transition Individual Planning and Personal Development (IPPD) is of utmost importantance. Transition IPPD is an individual responsibility but chain of command obligation.

Transition from the Army

Army website information on leaving the Army to ensure that service leavers are given all the relevant information needed to make an informed choice allowing a smooth transition into civilian life.

Service Leavers Guide.

The service leavers’ guide offers information and advice prior to and after leaving regular service.

The guide contains information about armed forces pensions, resettlement, reserve liability and support from charitable organisations.

Army Families Federation

The Army Families Federation (AFF) is the independent voice of Army families and works hard to improve the quality of life for Army families around the world – on any aspect that is affected by the Army lifestyle.

AFF is independent of the Army and offers confidential advice. We will deal with your enquiry without revealing your identity.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office

JSHAO provides all Service personnel and their families with information and advice on the increasingly complex range of housing options open.


Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) is an accommodation placement centre especially for single Service Leavers who are looking for civilian housing. It targets those SL with less than 6 year’s service, or those who have been administratively or medically discharged.

Shelter housing advice

Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through our advice, support, and legal services.

And we campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to us for help.

Forces Help to Buy

Forces Help to Buy: help to get on the property ladder
A scheme to help armed forces personnel get on the property ladder.

CTP housing guide

Each year, the Joint Services Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) delivers a programme of housing briefs at various military locations across the UK and overseas. They provide information and guidance on the various civilian housing options for Service personnel at any point in their career and for those leaving the military and currently resident in Service accommodation. JSHAO can also signpost the single veteran to the help offered by the Single Persons Accommodation Centre for Ex-Services (SPACES).

Services Insurance and Investment Advisory Panel

When you deal with a SIIAP member you have the peace of mind that you are dealing with an organisation that specialises in providing advice to armed forces members in the UK and around the world.

All Veterans are entitled to a discount rail travel card.