In 1685 Colonel Henry Cornwall raised a regiment which in 1751 formally became the 9th Regiment of Foot reflecting its seniority within the infantry. In 1782 it gained the county title of East Norfolk. A second battalion was raised in 1857. Under the Cardwell reforms of 1881 the regiment became the Norfolk Regiment, and in 1935 it was granted the prefix ‘Royal’.
After expansion to 20 battalions in World War 1 and to 9 in World War 2, subsequent cutbacks saw the disbandment of the 2nd Battalion in 1948, followed by amalgamation with the Suffolk Regiment on 29 August 1959 to form the 1st East Anglian Regiment.
The Royal Norfolk Regiment Museum, which includes the relevant archives, covers the history of the Regiment from 1685 and on through the amalgamations to show how the 9th of Foot’s traditions are still maintained within A (Norfolk) Company of the 1st Battalion of the Royal Anglian Regiment today.